Fire Wives balance a million roles everyday! That in between green is tough to find!!
Happy New Year!
Well, the year has started out with an immediate need for flexibility. Brett had a force hire today. Joy! Despite Brett’s absence, I kept with the plan…more or less.
The day began with Cinnamon rolls, a pajama picnic on the patio, and an OJ toast to the New Year. Okay – so maybe mine was a mimosa…but as far as the kids were concerned, it was OJ all around! Next came church, where I discovered our new Bible Study: Beth Moore’s “James” Mercy Triumphs (Whoo Hoo!). Back at the Roost, 5-year old Stella made her brothers and I lunch (PB Honey, Pop Chips, and Bananas). The afternoon continued with bike rides, park time, and a little football. Last, we topped the evening with a little Breakfast for Dinner. The baby crashed out around seven, which left ample time for books and games before bed. Wear’em’out is becoming my new motto!
Last year was my first spent as a FireWife. For those of you who have “enjoyed” it longer, I admire and respect you. It is exhausting; not just physically, but emotionally! Of course change is a part of life, but a Fire Wife’s life demands flexibility like I had never imagined.
It was hard for me to keep my mind on the message this morning. Instead of taking notes on the sermon, I made a list of Hopes for 2012. Some would call these resolutions, but I’m a little gun-shy to commit to anything these days as a force hire may arise. Haha!
This year I hope to:
1) Be steady and stable for my kids when dad is at work. How do I hope to accomplish this? By establishing and maintaining a routine during the week. Often times I feel like we fly by the seat of our pants.
2) Run a race for a cause. Training for a race is something I can do with or without Brett (or a friend’s) participation. Since we are relatively “alone” in our area, I have made up my mind to pick a cause and be a champion. This will make working out so much more enjoyable, knowing it is for something important. (Well, that and loosing 12 pounds and getting a better ass!)
3) Plan a vacation for my husband and I. Nothing crazy. preferably something smack dab in the middle of a six-day to avoid cancellation. I’m thinking Boston late summer, early fall. We can hit up a baseball game, eat great food, maybe even take a drive up the coast. So fun! (Don’t worry, I will get cancellation insurance)
4) Plan a family vacation. Last year was San Francisco. AMAZING. The kids are still young so I am thinking something else low-key. Perhaps San Diego, Yosemite, or Mammoth. Something outdoors with plenty to see!
5) Read the Bible; the whole darn thing. It’s a huge commitment, but I know I can do it. I am aiming for the Discipleship plan from Nav Press.
6) Write a Blog Post every week for a year. Committed!
7) Plan meals better. My kids love to cook. I hope to prepare in advance, cook organic, and embrace their excitement!
8) Be Gracious. Pinterest has been an awesome addition to my life. I love the tips, tricks and tools I have learned, which have made me a better Wife, Woman and Mother. So far I have thanked each woman I have highlighted on this blog. Their contributions are AWESOME.
9) Build friendships with women. I have hidden far to long from building friendships. Moving was devastating and the uncertainty of our living situation has been an excuse for far too long. I hope to meet amazing women and grow amazing friendships this year. Specifically, I hope to embrace and grow relationships with the amazing FireWives from RCFD.
10) Wear lingerie. At least once a week, I commit to wear something totally uncomfortable and impractical just for the Mr. I have almost finished shedding baby weight from #3 , which means my confidence level is on the upswing. On a side note, I don’t think he would mind a purchase here and there from Victoria’s Secret, Aerie, or some other fabulous panty find! Whoo Hoo!
I feel like these are 10, well-rounded hopes. There’s a balance for each of the roles I play, which is 100% important. My goal is to check in once a month…a little status report if you will. Y’all didn’t know you were signing up to be my accountability partners, huh!!??!
Happy Hoping in 2012! Enjoy Yourself